From: “It’s About Time; Colonial History Timeline”, by Bill DeCoursey (Stonington, Connecticut)
1654 – In August 1654, NINIGRET attacked the friendly Long Island Indians, and Major John MASON with the Connecticut Militia was sent to their aid.
“Prior to 1654 the highest military office in the colony of Connecticut was captain, and John MASON of Pequot fame was the only one who bore this title. When in after-years he visited the militia of the different towns, bearing the insignia of his rank as major, he was gazed at by the boys and girls of the settlement with eyes of wide wonder, as a man to be reverenced, but not approached.” – Elias B. Sanford’s A HISTORY OF CONNECTICUT (1888), p.123.
1654 – On 1 September 1654, the settlers of Stonington first petitioned the General Court for the formation of a separate town and church. The Stonington settlers, 15 miles from New London with 2 big rivers to cross, could hardly attend church and they objected to paying taxes to support the Rev. Mr. BLINNMAN. This was the beginning of the famous dispute over jurisdiction of the land between the Mystic and Pawcatuck Rivers.
1654 – Thomas MINER’s son John, on 14 September 1654, was named by the General Council to go to Hartford at public expense to be trained as a missionary to the Indians. – Williams Haynes, STONINGTON CHRONOLOGY (1976), p.12.
1654 – John STANTON (1641-1713) was a pupil of the famous old school teacher of the Puritans, Elijah CORLET. In 1654 he and John MINER, son of Thomas MINER, were selected by the Court of Commissioners to be educated as Indian interpreters and teachers of the Gospel to the Indians. Both young men, however, ultimately left their studies, and devoted themselves to other pursuits.
1654 – On 10 October 1654, under Major John MASON, 40 horsemen and 270 infantry rendezvoused at Thomas STANTON’s trading post on the Pawcatuck for an expedition to impress NINIGRET who was threatening war on UNCAS. – Williams Haynes, STONINGTON CHRONOLOGY (1976), p.13.